Tuesday, June 14, 2011

5 days...

Only Five days until I leave for Cambodia! It's interesting that the closer it gets the more surreal it's becoming. I don't believe I'm really going across the world for an entire month! Here's my checklist before I leave:

1. Pack my bags and store what I'm not bringing with me
2. Buy everything I need: travel supplies, extra shorts, a strap for my bag, etc.
3. Budget exactly what I'm going to spend while I'm there
4. Make a game binder so I have new games to introduce to the kids
5. Clean and fix my car
6. Finish my last final for my Bio class
7. Say goodbye to everyone who cares
8. Make sure I have all passports, visas, immunizations, health insurance, security that I need, etc
9. Make sure my camera has batteries!
10. Write thank you notes
11. Put all the phone numbers and contact information I need in one place so it is easily accessible

All of these things are much more involved than they seem. Packing up all my stuff is going to take a whole day in itself. I'm living with my sister and her husband for the summer and sadly I can't leave my stuff in the room I've been staying in for several reasons. One reason is that my sister wants to set up the baby's room and can't with my stuff crowding everything up. She's going to have the baby in September and it's her first so I understand how excited she is, I'd want to set it up 2 months early as well.

As for Cambodia, I'm getting really pumped. I haven't prepared everything nearly as much as I wanted to but its one of those things that you just have to kind of jump into. You can't really know exactly what to expect so you just have to mentally prepare yourself for anything. I am getting so excited to meet all of those kids!! I've seen a few pictures of them and the orphanage and I just feel all this excitement ready to surge out of me! I can't think about it without smiling or laughing. ME! I'm doing this! It's the biggest, most important and exhilarating thing I've ever done! And I AM DOING IT!! Who would've ever thought Katie Stewart would do something like this? Hahaha, this is incredible! Praise the Lord for life and endless opportunities to grow!

1 comment:

  1. I never dreamed that you would being doing something as cool and important as this! You totally rock! Those kids are going to be so happy! I hope you enjoy this once in a lifetime experience. I wish you the best of luck in Cambodia! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete