Friday, July 15, 2011

A few overlooked miracles

Sometimes life certainly isn't what you expect. Sometimes it's better! That is exactly what this trip has been for me, much better than I anticipated. I have finally made a break-through with the kids and it has been so much fun  this past week.

I admit that I have been doing a bad job at cataloging all the amazing and miraculous things that have happened during these past two weeks or so. I apologize that this blog hasn't lived up to the hype, but you'll all be glad to know that it is only because I have been far too busy with teaching and learning to have time to write hardly anything at all. I have been doing a good job at recording the kids' progress individually. I have at least accomplished my most important goal while being here: to connect with each kid individually (and learn their names!) I honestly never thought I would remember all the names of the kids at CICFO but it only took me like two or three days to get it right.

A wonderful thing I have realized while teaching these children is how much we can learn from teaching kids. They have this gift to help us (adults) figure life out, to see things clearer. Spending time with youth helps us understand what is really important in life, and what we can do personally to help others. Children bring out our natural talents and gifts and help us to develop them. I had lost my love for music. It used to fill me to the top, I couldn't be happy without it. But when I started teaching here the kids brought the music out in me and now I realize I am so much more happy when I'm singing. I've noticed, too that this happens with everyone. We can all learn from children, I guess that's why being a mother is so rewarding. I can't wait until that blessing comes for me!

Today we went to the floating villages in Siem Reap and I was so amazed at the people we saw there. Khmer people are so beautiful. They are happy and humble and have this confidence about them that is so inspiring. We bought notebooks and pens to give to the children of the villages. It was such an exciting thing to see how the children's faces lit up just at receiving notebooks. They were so grateful. Another group of kids that I handed out the remaining pens to practically attacked me they were so desperate to have them. I was kind of scared at first but I started to relax because it was so humbling to see how desperate they were to have a simple pen. I will be praying for those beautiful children for the rest of my life.

Tomorrow and Sunday are going to be so exciting as we tour some of the ancient ruins around Siem Reap! I've decided that I'm going to post pictures when I get back to the states (which is in about 5 days). So be looking for them!

God bless you all!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for every miracle you've gotten to witness and be a part of Katie :)

    This was so inspiring to me ! I love you you're the best!

    ReplyDelete