Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Independence Day America!

I love Cambodia! I love it as much as I love almost any other foreign place that I've been to (aka, France). But, although I do love it, I am so grateful to live in the land of the Free and the home of the Brave. It's a wonderful thing to know that the whole world is open to you, that you can do anything you set your mind to and that the government does not stand in your way, and the people cannot not stand in your way if you want to accomplish your goals. Freedom is worth fighting for. Opportunity is worth fighting for. Family is worth fighting for. So fight for it, never give up! Never let someone tell you you can't, not even yourself. 

Things are amazing here in Phnom Penh. The children at CICFO are getting more amazing in my eyes every day. I'm starting to understand their personalities and how to communicate with them. It's incredible how much you can communicate when there is such a huge language barrier. You learn to use your hands and sounds and small sentences. And then laugh when it is not understood instead of getting frustrated. You must laugh at difficulties or you'll become very frustrated. 

Have you ever seen the Lion King? There is a part when Rafeeke hits Simba in the head with a stick and Simba asks "What did you do that for?" 
"It doesn't matter, Its in the past." Rafeeke says in reply.
"Yeah but it still hurt." Simba says.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it is, you can either run from it or learn from it!" Rafeeke then swings his stick again and Simba ducks. Even though you may go through hurtful experiences, like having your heart broken, you can either run from it, or learn from it. I often choose the former and it doesn't help with happiness or fulfillment. Although there are things in my past I'd rather didn't happen, I can't change the past. It is time to put it behind me instead of carrying it in my pocket and pretending like I'm over it. Here is what I've learned while serving these beautiful people. I hope it helps any of you who are looking for answers. 

Miracles:
June 26th The Gospel of Jesus Christ is true no matter where you go in the world!
June 27th I realized the importance of letting go of unimportant things and just BE.
June 28th Anyone learning a second language is amazing!!
June 29th To really understand the meaning of a smile. It can change lives. 
June 30th If laughter is the best medicine, these kids are HEALTHY! 
July 1st    Kindred spirits are not so scarce afterall
July 2nd   Love is not best shown by what you say, but by what you do. 
July 3rd   Strangely enough, trust others' opinions of you. 
Today     You cannot change the world. You can change a life, but first, change yourself. 

These miracles or realizations have brought me to say how grateful I am for this opportunity. This truly has been and will continue to be an experience which will last a lifetime. Thank you who donated to my trip, I will never forget your kindness and support to me, and also to these children who I have come to love. 

Let me tell you a little bit about them. Each child is strong willed, smart, kind, funny, energetic, talented, and loving. They love the song "On the Floor" by J-lo as well as 'Baby' by Justin Beiber. They love to dance, to play games, puzzles, sing, draw, make bracelets, and cook. They help each other with everything and act just like any family, maybe even better. There are at least 4 mothers, three of which are full time and live there with the children. Most of the children come from an abusive home. The father would drink and abuse the mother, or have an affair, contract HIV/AIDs and give it to the mother. Or just leave the woman while she is pregnant. The children's mothers do not have enough money to take care of them or send them to school. Before they come to the orphanage, many of the kids lived on the streets with no education and no opportunity. One boy's mother was deemed 'crazy' by the neighborhood and he would frequent his days by throwing rocks at the kids who would taunt him about his mother. When he came to the shelter he hated all the kids and would fight with them. But now he is one of the sweetest, most delightful young men I've ever had the privilege to know. It's not just that these kids are given a home, but they are given a REAL family who cares for them, nurtures them, and teaches them good values which will sustain them through out their lives. I know these kids are capable of incredible things. They are so brilliant and their loving spirits are going to carry them from horizon to horizon. This orphanage is not just helping the children, I believe it is helping the whole nation of Cambodia by raising kids that will be well educated in school as well as in morality. I strongly encourage all of you to donate to this remarkable organization! I'm going to bring back some bracelets that the kids make to sell and sustain the shelter, if you wish to purchase some for $5 a piece just let me know. All the proceeds will go directly to the orphanage! $5 can go a looong way in Cambodia! You can also order them through the Global Outreach Foundation. Just go to Theglobaloutreach.org and click on 'Projects' and then 'Cambodia' and then 'CICFO' for more details

I really wish I could build a foundation like CICFO. Nothing can change a life better and faster than family. I guess that's why the LDS church focuses so much on strengthening the family. Once the family disintegrates, the world is soon to follow. For more information on the LDS views on the family go to http://lds.org/family/proclamation?lang=eng

I really want to post the videos I've taken but they take so long to upload and I never have enough time to wait for it. I put pictures up on facebook though if you don't want to wait for the blog to have pictures/ videos! Thanks for following! (in Khmer, thank you is pronounced 'awcoon') I love you all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment