Saturday, May 28, 2011

Fuddruckers bombed...now what?

Seems as if every fundraising opportunity I have achieved something goes wrong. First the weather, then miscommunication. The store owner at Fuddruckers has a great heart, but is pretty skimpy on the details. I should have asked more direct questions when he was explaining how the whole thing worked. I decided to believe that I was getting 20% of the night's income, but that just didn't happen. He wasn't there that night and the manager that was there didn't know anything other than I was doing a raffle. So we pretended like we knew what we were doing and gathered everyone's receipts that came for me. Turns out I have a lot less friends than I thought were supporting me. This was a sad realization, but I suppose I already knew exactly who I could count on. And those people did show up for me :)

Besides the meager funds accumulated, I actually did have a really fun time. I talked to several families who were all very kind and supportive of my trip. I'd like to say thank you to those wonderful people! I bussed tables and made friends with the workers I made a decent amount of money selling raffle tickets, about $45. Along with the $49 I made with the 20% that came to about $94! That is 94 dollars more than I had. My friend at the Global Outreach wants me to do another fundraiser but they have both been such failures that I just don't have the stamina to keep feeling like only about 5 people in Utah are really supportive of what I'm doing. I'm trying so hard to raise all the money I need. I'm working an extra 24 hours this week to help make up the difference, so its not like I'm not doing everything I can to pay for it myself. I am so excited about this opportunity, but it's really hard to keep a positive attitude when my fundraising keeps failing. But I know it'll work out in the end.

I added up all of the funds I've earned and all that I need to earn. Because I already paid a $200 deposit in January, I only owed 1,000 dollars. But since I've been sending letters and trying my hand at fundraising, I've earned a little over $500! So I now owe a little over $450! This is good news!!! I think this is doable. I just need a few people to donate 20 dollars here and there and I'll be able to cover the rest!! So if you can, just donate through paypal! Click on the link to the right and put my name in the box under 'Sponsoring? enter mentor below'. If you can't spare 10 or 20 dollars, I understand. But I still need your emotional support!! Only 23 days until I leave for Cambodia! There is still so much to do, so much to figure out. Not to mention I have to finish up the two classes I'm taking this semester! Go team!

Wish me luck!

2 comments: